Connect with us
SIS

Gambling in the USA

New mayor in Manchester, N.H., keno in more communities

George Miller

Published

on

Keno in the state of New Hampshire
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Former Manchester Alderman Joyce Craig on Tuesday won the mayor’s race in New Hampshire’s biggest city, becoming the first woman to hold the office. At least a half-dozen communities also approved keno.

Craig, a Democrat, beat four-term Republican Mayor Ted Gatsas in the race to lead the city of Manchester.

New Hampshire Sens. Jeanne Shaheen and Maggie Hassan praised Craig’s historic election.

As the first woman elected mayor of the city, Joyce adds to New Hampshire’s outstanding legacy of electing strong woman leaders,” Shaheen said. She also thanked Gatsas for his years of service.

Meanwhile, residents in Berlin, Claremont, Somersworth, Laconia, Manchester and Nashua all voted to approve the electronic bingo game keno in bars and restaurants in an effort to raise money for full-day kindergarten.

 In Rochester, keno appeared to have passed by a single vote. Several other communities rejected keno: Concord, Dover and Keene.

Republican Gov. Chris Sununu signed a proposal into law in July allowing money from keno to fund kindergarten programs. He left it up to individual communities to decide whether to allow it. Towns will consider it next year.

Voters in Franklin already had their election on a ballot measure last month, and approved keno. Officials in Portsmouth decided against putting it on the ballot.

Nearly 75 percent of New Hampshire communities already offer full-day kindergarten, but the state only pays half the standard per-student amount for those pupils, or about $1,800. Under the new law, the state will provide an additional $1,100 per full-day kindergarten student starting in 2019 and more in later years, depending on how much money is generated by keno.

Some opponents complain that keno will take money from those who can least afford it and will encourage addictive behavior.

State lottery commission officials estimate keno could raise $443 million for education. They said Massachusetts takes in $900 million a year in its keno game, with 2.5 percent of the money coming from New Hampshire residents.

This is the first general election in New Hampshire under a new state law requiring voters who move to the state within 30 days of an election to provide proof that they intend to stay. Democrats have challenged it in court, arguing it presents confusing, unnecessary and intimidating hurdles to voting. A state judge allowed the law to take effect, but blocked penalties of a fine and jail time for fraud, saying he wants to hear arguments in the case.

George Miller started his career in content marketing and has started working as an Editor/Content Manager for our company in 2016. George has acquired many experiences when it comes to interviews and newsworthy content becoming Head of Content in 2017. He is responsible for the news being shared on multiple websites that are part of the European Gaming Media Network.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Comments

Gambling in the USA

Pennsylvania Sports Betting Revenue Increases in July 2019

Niji Narayan

Published

on

Photo source: thefiscaltimes.com
Reading Time: 1 minute

GAN plc has updated the market following the publication by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB) of Internet gaming and Internet sports betting financial information for July 2019 in Pennsylvania.

Internet Gaming Win was $2.9 million in July compared to $1.4 million in June, reflecting an increase of 100.7%. Total Internet Sports Wagering Handle was approximately $39.0 million for the month of July, compared to $19.3 million in June.

Internet Sports Wagering Gross Revenues for the month of July were $2.9 million, compared to $1.4 million in June.

This information will be updated and published each month, following publication by the PGCB, in order to enable the investor community to readily monitor the growth of Internet gambling in Pennsylvania, which remains a key market for GAN.

Continue Reading

Gambling in the USA

MGM Springfield Reports First Year a Success

Niji Narayan

Published

on

Photo source: newsroom.mgmresorts.com
Reading Time: 2 minutes

 

Michael Mathis, president of MGM Springfield, has reported that the first year of the casino was a success. While revenues for the first year are significantly below its own predictions, Mathis said that the casino is doing fine and he is bullish about the coming year.

“I think there were a lot of naysayers that first said we would never build this; then they said people wouldn’t come because it’s Springfield. And a year later, 6 million visitors later, we’re knocking the cover off the ball on many, many facets of it,” Mathis said.

He cited examples of success as bringing in “world class” entertainment to the downtown, hiring approximately 2500 employees, and that about 40% of its workforce is from Springfield compared to its goal of 35%. In addition, the casino has not caused the traffic congestion and crime that some of the naysayers predicted, Mathis said.

For the month of July, MGM Springfield’s gross gaming revenue was $20.4 million, a 2.23% increase over gaming revenues in June. Since its opening, it has not come close to its expectations of raising $418 million in annual gross gaming revenues during its first full year of operation.

The market has some really strong competitors that have been in operation for many years, Mathis said. MGM Springfield, in luring people to the Springfield casino, has been “really successful in getting return trips.”

“It’s just a matter of when we are going to be able to get there. It’s going to take some time in a market like this. If you look at any other facility in the market, there’s always a ramp-up,” Mathis said.

The casino is making a number of changes such as adding bars including a VIP Lounge, adding new amenities, “and we will continue to get smarter about it and chip away into that number,” Mathis added.

Continue Reading

Gambling in the USA

Plaza Hotel & Casino to host second annual Las Vegas Pickleball Open, Sept. 24-28

Vlad Poptamas

Published

on

Reading Time: 2 minutes

 

LAS VEGAS – With more pickleball courts than any Las Vegas hotel/casino, the Plaza Hotel & Casino is again the official hotel and title sponsor of the Las Vegas Pickleball Open, Sept. 24-28. The annual competition saw registration more than double in its second year and expects to welcome nearly 650 players in 2019.

Due in large part to the success of last year’s tournament, hundreds of amateur and professional pickleball players from across the United States and around the world, including Japan, Mexico and Canada, will participate in next month’s event. Players also span multiple generations, from 12 to 81 years of age. Many players from last year are also returning, including top pros Simone Jardim and Kyle Yates to defend their mixed doubles title.

The Las Vegas Pickleball Open offers professional players a competitive prize package of $25,000 split between grand prize, silver and bronze medalists. The Plaza will again construct special grandstand seating for championship matches that will be streamed live on the event website.

“Pickleball continues to grow in popularity for players young and old,” said Jonathan Jossel, CEO of the Plaza Hotel & Casino. “Since we debuted the permanent pickleball courts on the rooftop pool and recreation deck in 2016, the Plaza has built a unique reputation as a premier pickleball destination. Now, we are welcoming hundreds of players from around the globe for this unparalleled tournament that offers players everything: top-notch competition as well as delicious dining options, exciting entertainment and relaxing accommodations, all in the heart of downtown Las Vegas.”

The tournament will offer men’s, women’s, and mixed amateur doubles matches as well as men’s, women’s, mixed and senior (50-plus) professional doubles matches. Matches will be played from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, with the scheduling of the championship matches to be announced. Spectators can attend any of the matches, including the semi-finals and championships, for free.

Players can register for the tournament online at www.lasvegaspickleballopen.com. Participants can also book hotel rooms at the Plaza at a special tournament rate, starting at $40 per night on the event site or at https://www.plazahotelcasino.com/entertainment/pickleball-open/.

A cross between tennis, badminton and ping pong, pickleball is the fastest growing racquet sport in the U.S., boasting more than three million players – a number that has been growing by more than 10 percent each year over the past decade.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
NSoft

Global Gaming Industry Newsletter – Weekly Digest (sent every Wednesday)

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from European Gaming Media and Events:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here. Read more about European Gaming Media and Event's Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Subscribe to our News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our news and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Latest by author

Trending

Notice for AdBlock users

We are constantly showing banners about important news regarding events and product launches. Please turn AdBlock off in order to see these areas.