Connect with us
SOFTSWISS

Australia

Crown Resorts Appoints Steve McCann as its New CEO and Managing Director

Published

on

Crown Resorts Appoints Steve McCann as its New CEO and Managing Director
Reading Time: 2 minutes

 

Australian land-based operator Crown Resorts has appointed Steve McCann as its new CEO and Managing Director. Subject to the receipt of certain probity and regulatory approvals, McCann will officially join Crown on June 1.

He will replace Ken Barton, who stepped down as CEO in February after an inquiry into the operator’s activity found it “unsuitable” to operate a casino in Sydney’s Barangaroo region.

McCann has spent more than 25 years working in executive roles and is currently the group chief executive of real estate and investment group Lendlease Corporation, a position he has held for over a decade.

McCann had planned to retire from Lendlease last year but remained with the group to lead its response to the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic. He will officially step down from the Lendlease board on May 31 and assume his new role at Crown the following day.

“I am looking forward to joining Crown at a crucial time for the organisation and see a real opportunity to help drive significant shareholder value as the company addresses its challenges and emerges from the constraints of the pandemic,” McCann said.

Helen Coonan, who will continue to perform her executive responsibilities as interim executive chairman at Crown until McCann receives the necessary approvals, said the addition of McCann represented a “first-class appointment” for the operator.

“Recognised as one of Australia’s most respected business leaders, Steve has a unique blend of strategic, financial and corporate governance expertise and a track record of building strong employee engagement and driving cultural change,” Coonan said.

“During a comprehensive recruitment process, Steve was the clear choice from a quality field of prospective candidates. The board was looking for a CEO firmly committed to building on the momentum for change within our business and Steve is ideally placed to hit the ground running as our sweeping reform program takes hold.”

Australia

PUBLIC HEARINGS TO BE HELD AS PART OF THE STAR CASINO’S LICENCE REVIEW

Published

on

PUBLIC HEARINGS TO BE HELD AS PART OF THE STAR CASINO'S LICENCE REVIEW
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

Public hearings will be carried out early next year as part of a review of The Star Casino.

The review, which is considering how effectively The Star is complying with its statutory obligations and whether it remains suitable to hold a casino licence, started four weeks ago after Adam Bell SC was appointed by the Independent Liquor & Gaming Authority (ILGA).

Mr Bell has advised ILGA that he considers it in the public’s interest to hold public hearings on matters including but not limited to The Star’s maintenance and administration of systems to counter money laundering and infiltration by organised crime.

ILGA is fully supportive of Mr Bell’s decision, with hearings expected to be held in March 2022. The publicly available report will be due to ILGA by 30 June 2022.

Regular reviews of casinos in NSW are required under the Casino Control Act. The last review of The Star was conducted in 2016 by Jonathan Horton QC.

 

Continue Reading

Australia

Star Sydney Casino Reopens After Three-month Closure

Published

on

Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

Star Entertainment has confirmed that the Star Sydney has been allowed to reopen for fully vaccinated customers. The venue will operate at a limited capacity of 1 person per 4 square metres indoors and 1 person per 2 square metres outside.

Casino guests will also be ordered to wear masks and to remain seated while eating or drinking. All of Star Sydney’s staff have been fully vaccinated. It is expected restrictions will be eased once New South Wales reaches an 80% vaccination rate.

Meanwhile, Star Queensland has increased its capacity to 1 person per 2 square metres. Patrons no longer have to be seated while eating or drinking. However, the wearing of masks remains mandatory indoors.

Continue Reading

Australia

Australia: NATIONAL RESEARCH REVEALS ONLINE HABITS DOUBLE IN A DECADE

Published

on

Australia: NATIONAL RESEARCH REVEALS ONLINE HABITS DOUBLE IN A DECADE
Reading Time: 2 minutes

 

A two-year gambling study has revealed more Australians than ever are reaching for their phone to have a punt, with the number of online gamblers doubling in the past decade.

The Second National Study of Interactive Gambling in Australia surveyed more than 15,000 Australians and found 17.5 per cent of adults had gambled online in 2019, up from 8.1 per cent in 2010.

The study, funded by Gambling Research Australia, found that overall gambling participation decreased from 64.3 per cent in 2010, to 56.9 per cent in 2019.

Professor Nerilee Hing, from CQUniversity’s Experimental Gambling Research Laboratory said Australia’s most popular forms of online gambling were lotteries (10.1 per cent of adults), race betting (5.9 per cent) and sports betting (5.8 per cent).

“This growth in online gambling has been driven by faster internet speeds, the convenience of betting on smartphone apps, extensive advertising and inducements, and new betting options like multi-bets,” Professor Hing said.

“New online activities have also been introduced, including e-sports, fantasy sports, skin gambling, and loot boxes.”

The study found the average online gambler was likely to be a young male, better educated than the average Australian, in a de facto relationship, and to gamble across multiple activities.

The Commonwealth and State/Territory Governments are currently implementing the National Consumer Protection Framework for Online Wagering (the National Framework).

The intent of the National Framework is to bring Australian consumer protection measures up to date, to ensure they reflect best practice nationally, and are consistent across jurisdictions. The National Framework consists of 10 consumer protection measures that aim to reduce gambling harm.

This was also the first national study to examine the negative consequences of gambling for gamblers, their family and friends.

Overall, 9.1 per cent of Australian adults experienced some level of harm from their own gambling and 6.0 per cent from another person’s gambling. Online gamblers were twice as likely as land-based only gamblers to experience harm.

The findings from this study will further inform online gambling policy and consumer protection measures across Australia.

Gambling Research Australia is a national gambling research partnership between Commonwealth, State and Territory governments, and chaired by the NSW Government. GRA funds projects of national significance and contributed more than $1 million towards the Second National Study of Interactive Gambling in Australia.

CQUniversity’s Experimental Gambling Research Laboratory is a research initiative to support understanding of games of chance, through experiment, simulation, and observation.

Second National Study of Interactive Gambling in Australia researchers included CQUniversity team members Dr Alex Russell, Professor Matthew Rockloff, Professor Matthew Browne, Nancy Greer and Vijay Rawat, International researcher Dr Anne Salonen (National Institute for Health and Welfare, Finland), Associate Professor Nicki Dowling and Dr Stephanie Merkouris (Deakin University), Dr Matthew Stevens (Charles Darwin University), Associate Professor Daniel King (Flinders University), and Linda Woo (former Executive Director of Policy and Projects, Queensland Department of Justice and Attorney-General).

Continue Reading
Advertisement
NSoft
Advertisement
EvoPlay
Advertisement
Kasyno Online na HEX Polska

Subscribe to our News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our news and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Trending

Notice for AdBlock users

We are constantly showing banners about important news regarding events and product launches. Please turn AdBlock off in order to see these areas.