Connect with us
SIS

Gambling in the USA

Caesars Entertainment to infiltrate its guest rooms every 24 hrs to monitor destructive devises

Athira A

Published

on

Reading Time: 2 minutes

Owing to the last year’s mass shooting on the Las Vegas Strip the US casino operators are alarmed and keen in prioritising public safety over customer privacy.

As reported by the Associated Press on Friday the casino operator Caesars Entertainment infiltrates its guests’ hotel rooms every 24 hours, irrespective of the occupant’s entreaty for privacy.

Caesar’s strategises to execute the new policy promptly in all of its 47 properties across the globe. The company may also provide staff with ‘panic buttons’ allowing them to promptly summon assistance should they feel threatened for whatever reason.

Company spokesperson Noel Stevenson said the new policies were a direct response to “recent tragic events,” referencing last October’s mass shooting at an outdoor concert on the Strip that left 58 concertgoers dead. To protect hotel staff from potential harm, Caesars said security guards will conduct the checks on rooms displaying “Do Not Disturb signs.”

Caesars is the latest casino company to tighten its oversight of goings-on by its guests, including Boyd Gaming, Wynn Resorts and MGM Resorts, in whose Mandalay Bay property the Vegas shooter amassed his weaponry over a period of several weeks, but which went undetected due to the Do Not Disturb sign hung on the doorknob.

MGM’s new policy authorises hotel security to enter a room if its guest has not interacted in person or over the phone with hotel staff for a period of 48 hours.

The new room checks will also likely cut down on the frequency of less malevolent but nonetheless dangerous incidents, such as would-be drug lords setting up methamphetamine laboratories in casino hotel rooms. A makeshift meth lab resulted in a fire at the Tropicana Casino in Atlantic City this week that injured one hotel staffer.

Casinos around the globe have been beefing up their security protocols in the wake of last year’s Vegas shooting and the purposely set fire at the Resorts World Manila casino that left 37 guests dead.

Last month, Galaxy Entertainment Group teamed up with Macau authorities on a mock hostage incident at Galaxy Macau to test the reactions of emergency response teams. That same week, a similar exercise was conducted at the Foxwoods Resort Casino in Connecticut.

Gambling in the USA

Scientific Games Statement on COVID-19 Response

George Miller

Published

on

Scientific Games Statement on COVID-19 Response
Reading Time: 2 minutes

 

Scientific Games Corporation is taking essential actions to respond to the global COVID-19 crisis.

Scientific Games CEO Barry Cottle said: “Like many others, our industry is facing unprecedented challenges from the widespread impact of the COVID-19 outbreak. We are working around the clock to take care of our employees, customers, shareholders and other key stakeholders in these difficult times, while providing uninterrupted products and services to those customers who continue to operate. Thankfully, we came into this year with a very strong liquidity position, including substantial capacity under our revolver, and also refinanced our debt, extended our major maturities and lowered our interest expense. We have a diverse portfolio of assets, product and services that uniquely position us to weather this crisis.

We are taking a variety of actions to help ensure that we meet the demands of this outbreak and are ready when the industry begins to recover. I am confident that the measures we are taking now will prepare us to come out of the crisis even stronger than before. And, I have never been prouder to lead a team where everyone is stepping up to help each other, our partners and our Company.”

The Company is instituting a number of cost-savings measures to ensure stability for team members and protect the operations of the Company. Some of these measures include workforce hour and pay reductions to preserve as many jobs as possible and furloughs for those support roles that have seen a decrease in industry work. During this challenging time, the executive leadership team has committed to a voluntary 50% salary reduction while Chief Executive Officer Barry Cottle has volunteered a 100% reduction in pay.

We recognize that the temporary furloughs that are made necessary by the impact of COVID-19 on our Company create substantial hardship for the furloughed employees and their families. We are establishing a Hardship Relief Fund to provide short-term assistance to those employees and their immediate families who incur unexpected and onerous personal, family, or living expenses as a result of the COVID-19 crisis. The Company, Barry Cottle and several other senior executives will be making contributions to the fund.

Scientific Games is committed to supporting our customers in this crisis by continuing to provide quality, secure products and services to partners across lottery, iGaming, sports betting and land-based casinos. In addition, SciPlay continues to publish free-to-play apps for players to enjoy.

Scientific Games leadership will continue to evaluate this rapidly-evolving situation and assess the duration of cost-savings measures based on the continuing impact of COVID-19.

© 2020 Scientific Games Corporation. All rights reserved.

 

About Scientific Games:
Scientific Games Corporation (NASDAQ: SGMS) is a world leader in entertainment offering dynamic games, systems and services for casino, lottery, social gaming, online gaming and sports betting. Scientific Games offers the gaming industry’s broadest and most integrated portfolio of game content, advanced systems, cutting-edge platforms and professional services. Committed to responsible gaming, Scientific Games delivers what customers and players value most: trusted security, engaging entertainment content, operating efficiencies and innovative technology. For more information, please visit scientificgames.com.

SOURCE Scientific Games Corporation

Continue Reading

Gambling in the USA

Oklahoma Indian Gaming Association Chairman Rejects Governor’s Offer

Niji Narayan

Published

on

Oklahoma Indian Gaming Association Chairman Rejects Governor’s Offer
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

Matthew Morgan, chairman of the Oklahoma Indian Gaming Association, has rejected Gov. Kevin Stitt’s latest casino gambling offer and accused the governor of attempting to take advantage of the tribes during the COVID-19 outbreak.

Morgan termed the governor’s offer as “yet another unsuccessful attempt to divide the tribes.”

“The letter confirms the real intent of Governor Stitt is to destroy the tribal interest outlined in the existing compacts. The tribal leaders who received the letter reject the proposal as disrespectful and disingenuous,” Morgan said.

Steve Mullins, one of Stitt’s outside attorneys, wrote in a letter to the tribal leaders that the Corona pandemic has changed the landscape for tribal and non-tribal governments.

“Now more than ever is the time for us to stand together,” Mullins wrote.

Included with the letter is the proposed new compact, which would require tribes to pay a flat 5% fee on gambling revenue and authorise both the tribe and the state to offer sports gambling, Morgan said.

The compact would also vest more power with the state to interfere in tribal casino operations, such as approval of casino vendors and installation of a minimum number of electronic machines in casino floor.

“This compact is a huge power grab for his office,” Morgan said.

Continue Reading

Gambling in the USA

PlaySugarHouse.com Brings Joy To A Pennsylvania Man Who Hit The Divine Fortune Mega Jackpot At Home For More Than $159,000

George Miller

Published

on

PlaySugarHouse.com Brings Joy To A Pennsylvania Man Who Hit The Divine Fortune Mega Jackpot At Home For More Than $159,000
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

PlaySugarHouse.com is once again bringing a little positivity during these difficult times to a West Chester, PA man who hit the Divine Fortune jackpot on Sunday night. Anthony, who asked that we not share his last name, hit the jackpot for a total winning of $159,052.43. This is the third time the Divine Fortune jackpot was hit at PlaySugarHouse.com since the closure of all land-based casinos in the states of New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The first time was in New Jersey on March 15th and the second time was in Pennsylvania on March 20th, both for over $278,000.

Anthony was at home with his family when he won. “I still feel like I’m in a dream,” the 55-year-old commercial painter said. “I was definitely not expecting it, and I had to ask myself if I really hit the jackpot.”

While he doesn’t have any set plans for his winnings, Anthony expressed that he would like to put aside some money for retirement.

“It’s exciting to be able to provide a chance for our players to win life changing jackpots on an outlet that doesn’t require them to leave home,” said Mattias Stetz, C.O.O. of Rush Street Interactive, which operates PlaySugarHouse.com and BetRivers.com.  “This win made a huge positive impact during this very trying period of time.”

With all land-based casinos in New Jersey and Pennsylvania closed, PlaySugarHouse.com has seen an increase in online casino play over the past couple of weeks.

This is the fourteenth Divine Fortune jackpot at PlaySugarHouse.com in Pennsylvania since its launch last summer.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
NSoft

Global Gaming Industry Newsletter – Weekly Digest (sent every Wednesday)

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from European Gaming Media and Events:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here. Read more about European Gaming Media and Event's Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Subscribe to our News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our news and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Trending

Notice for AdBlock users

We are constantly showing banners about important news regarding events and product launches. Please turn AdBlock off in order to see these areas.