Connect with us
SIS

Asia

Apple removes illegal gambling apps in China

Niji Narayan

Published

on

Apple removes illegal gambling apps in China
Photo Credits: Xinhua/Barcroft Media
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Apple has pulled out the gambling apps which were criticised by the state media from its app platform in China.

Gambling apps have come under heavy criticism from state media. Chinese state broadcaster has termed a number of apps on the Apple platform as “fake lotteries.”

Following the criticism, Apple removed a number of apps, around 25,000 by some estimates, from its App Store.

Apple did not  reveal the  number of apps that were removed.

“Gambling apps are illegal and not allowed on the App Store in China,” the company said in a statement.

“We have already removed many apps and developers for trying to distribute illegal gambling apps on our App Store, and we are vigilant in our efforts to find these and stop them from being on the App Store,” it added.

Apple (AAPL) is the latest major tech firm to be caught in a crackdown on content in China.

In recent months, homegrown Chinese tech companies have been targeted by Chinese authorities over content hosted on their platforms. Shares in Tencent (TCEHY) took a hit last week after one of its online games was banned by regulators.

It’s not the first time Apple has come under scrutiny over its operations in China.

The US company stoked privacy concerns earlier this year after moving iCloud accounts registered in mainland China to state-run Chinese servers.

In 2017, it took down several apps that had provided virtual private networks (VPNs) to users in China, allowing them to access online services typically censored by Beijing such as Facebook and Google.

Source: CNN tech

Continue Reading

Asia

Aristocrat Leisure Limited Suspends Internal Travel in Asia

Niji Narayan

Published

on

Aristocrat Leisure Limited Suspends Internal Travel in Asia
Photo Source: edreams.com
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

Aristocrat Leisure Limited has suspended staff travel throughout Asia in response to the outbreak of coronavirus. Also, the company is not expecting any major disruption to its business operations.

“Aristocrat has no direct operations in mainland China and relatively small exposure to the Asian region generally,” Trevor Croker, CEO and Managing Director of Aristocrat, said.

“However, we have been closely monitoring developments with a focus on our people, customers and supply chain. We have temporarily suspended travel in the region, and are supporting our staff in Macau and Hong Kong. We are also proactively monitoring and managing potential supply chain impacts. At this stage we do not foresee any material adverse impacts on our business, but we will keep the market updated as appropriate,” Trevor Croker added.

Aristocrat is coming off another record year in 2019, with revenue rising 22.7% to AU$4.4 billion and profit by 22.6% to AU$894.4 million.

“We expect continued growth over the 2020 fiscal full year,” Trevor Croker said.

Continue Reading

Asia

Deltin Group Launches Deltin Casino in Nepal

Niji Narayan

Published

on

Deltin Group Launches Deltin Casino in Nepal
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

Deltin Group has launched Deltin Casino at The Marriot Hotel in Kathmandu, Nepal. This is the group’s first casino outside of India. The new venture is a result of the company’s agreement with Everest Hospitality and Hotel Pvt. Ltd.

“We believe that compliance and ethics is an integral aspect to our business and so we are happy to join hands with Everest Hospitality and Hotel Pvt Ltd owners of the Marriott Hotel, as both our companies share common values professionalism and excellence in service; our shared values and parallel vision reassures that our business is in safe hands here in Nepal,” Anil Malani, President and CEO of Deltin Group, said.

Continue Reading

Asia

Macau Casinos to Resume Operations from February 20

Niji Narayan

Published

on

Macau Casinos to Resume Operations from February 20
Photo Source: yimg.com
Reading Time: < 1 minute

 

The casinos in Macau are going to resume their operations from February 20 after the authorities imposed a two-week suspension to keep the coronavirus in check. The halt in gaming operations started on February 5.

Macau has not reported any new cases of the virus since February 4. There have been 10 confirmed cases of the virus in total.

Macau government has told casino operators, which include Sands China, Wynn Macau, SJM Holdings, MGM China, Galaxy Entertainment and Melco Resorts, they have 30 days to go back to full business.

While casinos have been given permission to operate, business is likely to be limited, say executives, due to Macau’s strict controls on visitor entry and curtailed transport links, including the suspension of ferry services from neighbouring special administrative region Hong Kong.

Nearly 30 hotels, mostly joined to casinos, have been shuttered for the last two weeks due to the suspension. It was not immediately clear how quickly those operations, as well as other non-gaming amenities, would resume.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
NSoft

Global Gaming Industry Newsletter – Weekly Digest (sent every Wednesday)

Please select all the ways you would like to hear from European Gaming Media and Events:

You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the link in the footer of our emails. For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website.

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp's privacy practices here. Read more about European Gaming Media and Event's Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.

Subscribe to our News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our news and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Trending

Notice for AdBlock users

We are constantly showing banners about important news regarding events and product launches. Please turn AdBlock off in order to see these areas.